Kairos

Kairos in ancient Greek means "a moment in time".My desire is that this blog will allow me a moment to reflect on life and give you an moment to share in it with me.We are sooooo busy these days and it is so very important not to let the little things and moments pass us by.Hoping you are having a BLESSED day :)

Friday, April 11, 2008

The devil REALLY does wear Prada : )

I realize some of you all have not talked to me lately.So you don't really know what's going on in my life.To be completely honest,I've been battling depression a little and just overall been in a state of mind questioning alot of things in my life.I think I might be having my mid-life crisis early :) I don't enjoy my job,I'm not able to do many things I enjoy doing for various reasons and just overall don't feel like i'm enjoying life.Work keeps me busy and has weighed on me ALOT more than I realized.BUT,i've begun to do some things to try to help.I know my God wants me to live life to the full.One of the hard things about this is that most of my friends seem to be enjoying life and getting to do what they want.So,envy can creep up on me pretty quickly.I'm pretty good about recognizing it though and remembering that they also have struggles and God has me exactly where I need to be.I say all that so that you can know my frame of mind in the story i'm about to share.
Last weekend I got to spend some time with some DEAR and PRECIOUS friends of mine.They are always so encouraging to me because they are so fun,compassionate and just love life !!! They help me to remember to have fun,work hard and play harder :) One of them is self employed and just always seems to have things going her way.She seems to have no cares in the world (even though I know she does).She doesn't have a boss she answers too and can sleep in any time she wants (ok,so we're all hating her right about now right? haha).Just FYI,she knows how blessed she is and doesn't take it for granted. I noticed she had the CUTEST purse with her.And what did my eyes see? Did it really say PRADA ??????? No way!!!! I instantly thought someone had bought it for her and thought "how nice to have someone who would do that for you".All my envious thoughts staring going haywire.I'll spare you some of them :) Later on that afternoon,I asked her about the purse.SHe smiled and said "yes I got it at a market in rome for $10.It isn't even real PRADA".I was shocked. It's still one of the CUTEST purses ever but my thoughts just automatically shifted.She went on to say "yeah,I started not to get it because I didn't want people thinking I'd spend that much on a purse but decided that I knew it was only $10 and I just loved it". Talk about a slap in the face :) Here I was letting all these envious thoughts run wild in my head and God was using that as a teachable moment.He reminded me of 2 things. 1)things are never as they seem and 2)we can think people have it all together or seem to have all the luck but we may not know the whole story.Just think what I'd be thinking right now if I hadn't mentioned the purse to my friend.I would've never known the real truth. I titled this blog "the devil really does wear prada" because I think the devil does look for any opportunity or emotion within us to doubt God,doubt His goodness,provision or sovreignty. I don't think it was coincidence at all this was what Satan threw at me knowing my recent struggles.I've been reminded lately of a little chorus I used to sing at church camp growing up "The greatest thing in all my life is LOVING you,the greatest thing in all my life is LOVING you,I want to LOVE you more,I want to LOVE you more,the greatest thing in all my life is LOVING you !!!!" I also came across this verse today as I was having my quiet time

Psalm 73:28 (New King James Version)

28 But it is good for me to draw near to God;
I have put my trust in the Lord GOD,
That I may declare all Your works.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:02 AM , Blogger This Is Stupid said...

    You know, Alicia, I struggle with those same things! One of my favorite quotes in the world is "Don't let other people's limited perceptions define who you are."
    I have to remind myself of that so often, as I try to compare myself to others and what they might think of me! They know so little compared to how the Lord knows me. I just forget this and allow envy and bitterness to creep in - even though I have so much to be thankful for! You're not alone!! And thanks for all your sweet comments on my blog. I love hearing from you - maybe you'll get to meet Abby one day. And keep me posted on Allison's kiddos. I know they're precious to you. Tell her I said hello!

     
  • At 4:40 PM , Blogger Alicia Beth said...

    Hey Ellen! good to hear from you.thank you for your thoughts too :)no we're not alone even though it often seems like it.Our pride just gets in the way of telling others about our struggles so we don't know it.hope all is well with ya'll.I think we're going to the zoo saturday so I'll have LOTS of pics to post if we do :) Can't wait !!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home