Kairos

Kairos in ancient Greek means "a moment in time".My desire is that this blog will allow me a moment to reflect on life and give you an moment to share in it with me.We are sooooo busy these days and it is so very important not to let the little things and moments pass us by.Hoping you are having a BLESSED day :)

Thursday, July 26, 2007

greatest earthly example of heavenly forgiveness

I had the greatest experience today. I experienced the greatest earthly example of heavenly forgiveness.Indulge me for just a minute to set up the story.I had a friend in high school who was very dear to me.We were very close.We helped each other through those awkward teenage years. We never really dated but he was the first "love of my life". He broke my heart after choosing to befriend a new group of people to be "cool". Then,I did some "not so nice" things to him. We grew apart needless to say. Feelings between us ranged from love,rage.hurt to disappointment,confusion,betrayal,revenge,compassion,etc. Despite all this,I believe we somehow managed to always have a special place in our hearts for the other person.However,we had gotten to the point where we would "gnarl" at each other if we saw each other out. We got to the nonspeaking point a few years back and it's been that way for a long time. For me,that was really hard to have both extremes of feelings for him. I always hated seeing him out because it brought back all those conflicting emotions.I think i'd known that I'd forgiven him a long time ago but had never known for sure.also,i was sure that he would never forgive me. Well,a situation
arose that left me with very little option but to call my friend for a "business" matter.
I had left a message at his office yesterday and had said anyone in the office could call me.To my surprise,he actually called and left a message for me. So,today,I called him back. When I said who it was you could almost sense him smiling from ear to ear. We conducted our business and then he asked me a couple of questions which required me to reveal a little of my personal life to answer. He was very kind and compassionate. I thanked him for his help and he said "call me anytime.I'm always here". I can't tell you how much that conversation helped me. I knew without any doubt that I had truly forgiven him.All I could sense in my heart was love for my long lost friend.I also sensed the same from him.He wasn't just cordial but showed genuine interest in me and my welfare. Don't get me wrong.we probably won't talk again anytime soon and we could never get along long term.I know that now.
But,this guy means the world to me and always will.I feel safe in saying the same for him.There have been signs over the years that he still cared about me and today just confirmed that. We both could be so bitter and really tell each other off for all the things that have happened between us.We probably would even have justification for suing each other,etc. I can't stress how bitter our friendship has been at times. however,today was a great earthly example of heavenly forgiveness.when we were talking,it was like nothing bad had ever happened between us.You could just hear the love and compassion between us. We not only were cordial but showed a true interest in each other and compassion for each other. That was nothing short of a miracle. I was reminded later about true forgiveness. The bible teaches that forgiveness is "wiping the slate clean" and "seeing that person as holy and pure without blame".How many times do we say we forgive someone but really haven't? how many times do we truly forgive someone but never forget? I believe the Bible teaches that to forgive is to forget.It's to view the other person as trustworthy and without blame.
So,I go to bed tonight having learned a very important lesson about forgiveness.




"Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart."
1 Peter 1:21-23

2 Comments:

  • At 8:48 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    It made me happy to read this :)

    I love you, Alicia.

     
  • At 10:07 AM , Blogger Alicia Beth said...

    Aww,right back at ya girlfriend :) It was a really big deal to me.I know you understand this totally as you know EXACTLY who i'm talking about and know the situation !

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home